Christmas Recipe - Candied Almonds
Posted on 02 December 2019
Are you looking for some delicious Christmassy snacks, or perhaps want to offer someone a unique gift? We'd recommend these candied almonds, and of course if you want to add that New Zealand touch, the recipe also works with locally grown hazelnuts or macadamia nuts.
- 1 Cup of Almonds
- 1/2 Cup of Water
- 1/2 Cup of White Sugar
- 2 Tbsp of Brown Sugar (we used Rapadura)
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp of nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp of cardamom
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract/essence
- About 1/2 tsp of salt to sprinkle.
To be honest, the method can be a bit tricky to master without a visual, so please have a look at the four minute video linked below if you'd like to see the process in action. The steps are:
- Arrange some baking paper ready to tip the almonds onto when they are done
- Add all ingredients except salt and almonds to a saucepan and bring to a boil then lower the heat (to about a '3' on an element that has a 1-9 scale) and stir until all ingredients are dissolved
- Add almonds and stir them in, raise the heat if necessary to keep the mixture at a slow bubble
- KEEP STIRRING (we don't want them to stick to the pot)
- The mixture will slowly thicken and eventually crystallise (you can see this happen at 2:52 in the video). It takes around 20 minutes for the crystallisation to happen and when it does, get the almonds off the heat and out of the pot quickly. If you keep them on the heat, the sugar becomes liquid again and once that happens, you're stuck with almond toffee! Isn't culinary science fascinating?
- Sprinkle with salt. Let them cool.